Learning at home is an essential part of a good education. The classroom is not the only environment where successful learning can take place. The regular setting of appropriate, thoughtful, challenging and differentiated homework contributes to pupils’ overall learning experience and is essential for an individual pupil to reach their potential.
Homework is set for pupils with the purpose of supporting the ongoing progress and achievement of all pupils. It is intended to:
- Reinforce the home-school partnership
- Consolidate and reinforce skills and understanding
- Exploit resources for learning in the home
- Develop skills of organisation and self-discipline
- Prepare pupils for the demands of university or work life
- Extend Academy learning
We provide all pupils with homework to enable them to practise the skills and learning they have already acquired at the Academy. Sometimes the aim is to repeat something completed in class as a practice exercise. At other times, the homework may ask children to apply their learning to a new context.